Tomato 🍅Pie. How To Make Easy Tomato Pie. SO GOOD! – Bad name, Great dish. Italian tomato pie is an Italian-American and Italian-Canadian baked good consisting of a thick, porous, focaccia-like dough covered with tomato sauce.
The first time I heard of it ("tomato pie", hmm, oooookaaaay) my brain suffered a little cognitive dissonance (never heard those two. Slice up some ripe tomatoes and place them in a greased pie dish. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, salt and pepper. You can cook Tomato 🍅Pie using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tomato 🍅Pie
- Prepare 7-8 of fresh tomatoes 🍅 (if the tomatoes are small, then use 8).
- You need 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Goya adobo.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of basil leaves.
- You need 2 1/4 cups of Bisquick baking mix.
- It’s 1/2 cup of milk OR creamer (more or less depending on the amount of cheese you add).
- You need 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese (or 2 cups if you want it really cheesy !).
- Prepare of Sprinkle parsley flakes.
Cover with some seasoned mashed potatoes moistened with a little. And just so you know, this is my official. Elizabeth Heiskell shares a tomato pie recipe that's simple thanks to store-bought crust. Layer tomatoes, basil, goat cheese and salt and pepper on the pie crust.
Tomato 🍅Pie instructions
- Rinse and dry your tomatoes 🍅……
- Thinly slice tomatoes and place in a large baking pan that has been sprayed with butter cooking spray, making sure to overlap each slice……..
- Sprinkle all over tomatoes your black pepper, adobo and basil leaves…….set baking pan to the side……
- Meanwhile in a bowl mix together your Bisquick baking mix, milk OR creamer and sharp cheddar cheese…….Bisquick mixture should be moist and not dry, so you can add more or less milk / creamer if you like……
- Pour Bisquick mix all over your tomatoes 🍅……Spread mixture evenly throughout your tomatoes…….
- Sprinkle some parsley flakes all over Bisquick topping……
- Place tomatoes in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until Bisquick topping is golden on top…….
- Let cool for 20 minutes, slice, serve and enjoy 😉!!!.
I grew up on a farm. When and if there was leftover mashed potatoes and sliced tomatoes,(and we tried to leave some cause we liked. Line pie pan with unbaked crust and crimp. Fit a piece of parchment paper into the pie crust. Make a classic Southern tomato pie recipe with flaky dough, chopped and drained fresh tomatoes, sautéed onion, fresh herbs, and a mix of mayonnaise and shredded.
I am the 1st Winner of Cooking with Chef TV Show. I love cooking.