Boston cream pie. A Boston cream pie is a cake with a cream filling. The dessert acquired its name when cakes and pies were cooked in the same pans, and the words were used interchangeably. (The opposite naming convention is still current in French, where anything baked in a rectangular loaf pan is called a cake.) Boston Cream Pie Recipe. Omni Parker House Original Boston Cream Pie.
It's a lovely vanilla cake layered with fresh pastry cream and chocolate ganache – all from scratch! An American classic, Boston cream pie isn't a pie at all. Its base is an old-fashioned hot milk cake, a downy-soft, buttery yellow cake. You can have Boston cream pie using 24 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Boston cream pie
- It’s of Custard Filling.
- Prepare 2 cups of milk.
- It’s of vanilla bean split or 1.5 tsp vanilla extact.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1/3 cup of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp of salt.
- You need 2 of large eggs.
- It’s 2 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- You need 1 tbsp of rum.
- It’s of cake batter.
- Prepare 2 cups of sifted flour.
- You need 1 cup of sugar.
- You need 2 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1/2 of salt.
- It’s 1/3 cup of unsalted butter (room temp).
- You need 3/4 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s 1 of large egg.
- Prepare of chocolate ganache.
- You need 2 cups of bitter sweet chocolate.
- You need 1 tbsp of brute cocoa powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of heavy cream.
- It’s 1 tbsp of bourbon (optional).
How you whip the eggs and the sugar is critical, as the tiny air. Boston cream pie is my favorite and I must admit as another member did that this was very dry and flavorless. Originally called the Parker House Chocolate Cream Pie, Boston cream pie is the creation of M. Sanzian, an Armenian-French chef working at the Parker House Hotel (now the Omni Parker House).
Boston cream pie step by step
- FOR CAKE BATTER: mix all your wet ingredients and then add to your dry, mix until smoothe. Divide the mix into two 8 inch spring pans. Bake in a 350° pre heated oven for 20 mins. Let sit until cool.
- FOR CUSTARD: Add all ingredients in a heavy bottom sauce pan, on low heat continue stirring until it starts to thicken. Let cool.
- FOR GANACHE: Add all ingredients in a heavy bottom skillet on low heat and stir until melted.
- TO BUILD: 1. On serving platter lay one half of the cake 2. Spread your custard 3. Top with the other cake 4. Pour your ganache over the top and spread evenly. Slice and enjoy!.
- Note* You can also bake these in muffin pans and turn these into Boston cream pie mini's just build them the same way and maybe double the ganache recipe..
Boston Cream Pie from Barefoot Contessa. This Boston Cream Pie recipe features a simple vanilla cake filled with homemade pastry cream and topped with a chocolate ganache. This Boston cream pie has the most delicious combination of flavors and textures. I love the light and tender cake, the velvety smooth custard, and the chocolatey ganache. Boston Cream Pie is a classic dessert!
I am the 1st Winner of Cooking with Chef TV Show. I love cooking.