Jo's Chicken Pot Pie Filling.
You can have Jo's Chicken Pot Pie Filling using 31 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Jo's Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- Prepare of Filling.
- You need 5 of fresh garlic cloves, peeled and crushed*.
- Prepare 1 of medium red onion, peeled and chopped.
- You need 1 stick of Earth Balance dairy-free butter*, halved.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- It’s 4 cups of cooked chicken, shredded and seasoned.
- You need 4-5 of fresh carrots, peeled and sliced.
- It’s 1 cup of frozen peas.
- It’s 2 cups of chicken stock.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Prepare 1 cup of lactose-free half and half*.
- You need 1/4 cup of tapioca flour*.
- You need 3/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, more or less to taste*.
- You need 1 teaspoon of dried parsley.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of celery seed.
- It’s 2-3 dashes of dried oregano.
- It’s 1 of generous pinch smoked paprika.
- It’s 1-2 dashes of Vietnamese cinnamon.
- It’s 6 of large fresh basil leaves, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of deep dish 9" pie pan or skillet, buttered/floured or oiled.
- You need of Prepared dough for 2 9" pie crusts.
- It’s of room temp water or egg-wash (whisked egg + milk) for brushing.
- It’s of Substitution Notes.
- You need 3 tbs of cornstarch can be subbed for tapioca flour.
- Prepare 1 1/4 tbs of garlic granules can be subbed for garlic cloves.
- Prepare of traditional salted butter can be subbed for dairy-free butter.
- You need of amount of carrots depends on size; organic tends to be slimmer.
- Prepare of amount of salt depends on if butter and stock is unsalted.
- You need of reg half/half is ok, but gut will probably prefer lactose-free.
- You need of precooked seasoned breast meat or rotisserie chicken is ideal.
Jo's Chicken Pot Pie Filling step by step
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. If your oven runs extra hot and has a tendency to obliterate your food, try 375..
- Prep your ingredients – peel and chop your onion and crush your garlic, set aside. Rinse, peel and slice carrots into thin coins. Measure out peas and let them sit at room temperature. Roughly chop basil and set aside separately..
- Lightly rinse a large saucepan and shake out excess water into the sink. Set it on low-medium heat on the stove. Once water droplets have evaporated, melt 1/2 stick of butter plus 1 tbs olive oil in pan. Let it heat thoroughly for a couple of minutes. Stir or swirl the pan for even heat distribution and to prevent premature browning or burning. Adjust heat as needed..
- Add onions and garlic into the pan, and sautee for a few minutes until onions are translucent and garlic is lightly browned. Add in remaining butter and oil, and heat through..
- Once additional butter has melted, stir in carrots and peas into the pan. Once carrots are cooked but still slightly firm, add lemon juice, chicken stock, and basil. Stir occasionally..
- In a separate container, mix half and half and tapioca flour together. Whisk until blended and smooth. Gently pour into pan and stir..
- Continue to stir and let the mixture thicken for a minute or two, then add in the pre-cooked shredded chicken. Add in herbs and spices. Taste and add desired amount of salt. Stir to combine. Turn heat down to a simmer and stir frequently as the mixture comes together and is heated through. Do not boil..
- Remove the pan from heat. Gently pour mixture into prepared crust pan. (pictured: my plant-based pie crust).
- Carefully take premade top crust and cover the filling. Using your index fingers and thumbs, firmly pinch the edges to seal the top of the pie. You can trim excess dough with food-safe scissors. Take a fork or butter knife and gingerly make 3 small slits starting at the center of the pie and outward to create ventilation. Evenly brush the top and edges with prepared egg-wash or water..
- Cover the edges of the pie crust with foil to prevent premature browning. Place pie in heated oven on the center rack, and place a foiled cookie sheet on the rack below to catch any drips. Let bake for 35-40 minutes..
- Check on pie. If top is still heavily doughy, add time in 5 minute increments until top is golden brown. If filling bubbles up, it's okay! And if the top of the pie crust is mostly golden brown but has some slightly softer spots it's okay; it will keep cooking outside of the oven. Remove from oven with mitts and let it sit on top of the stove for 10 minutes. Place on cooling rack for at least 25 min before serving to let it set. Caution: it will be hot. As pies directly from the oven tend to be..
- Cut desired portions and transfer to plates. Serve it with joy and pride..
I am the 1st Winner of Cooking with Chef TV Show. I love cooking.