Easy Avgolemono (Greek egg-lemon soup or sauce).
You can cook Easy Avgolemono (Greek egg-lemon soup or sauce) using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Easy Avgolemono (Greek egg-lemon soup or sauce)
- It’s 1/2 c of cooked/canned chickpeas or sub any neutral base like a serving of pasta, 1/2 c cooked diced potatoes, or 1/2 c cooked shredded chicken, etc.
- Prepare 1 1/2 c of hot flavorful liquid (e.g. bean liquid, broth, pasta water, or miso paste diluted in 1 c water).
- You need of Zest and juice of 3 juicy lemons (~1 c lemon juice).
- Prepare 2 of eggs.
- It’s 1 tsp of cornstarch.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried herbs, recommend oregano, thyme or marjoram, as available.
- You need 1/4 c of fresh herbs, roughly chopped (recommend dill, parsley, fennel fronds, or mint – the idea is to bring some herby freshness and greenery to garnish).
- You need of Salt + Pepper.
- It’s of Optional toppings: dash of olive oil, Greek-style yogurt, feta, breadcrumbs.
Easy Avgolemono (Greek egg-lemon soup or sauce) instructions
- 1. For the base: in a saucepan heat the chickpeas (or sub) and your flavorful liquid. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Bring to a medium-low simmer and cook for a few minutes with the lid ajar. If using pasta, cook as instructed, reserving 1 1/2 c of pasta water at the end..
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl add the lemon juice and zest, eggs and cornstarch, and whisk to combine. Trust me, you want the zest for extra lemony-ness!.
- 3. When the base is done, get a 1 c measuring cup or something with a handle that you can use to remove the liquid from the pot. Remove ~1 c of the hot liquid and while whisking, slowly stream the hot liquid into the egg-lemon mixture to temper and combine while continuing to whisk. This is your avgolemono..
- 4. Add the avgolemono to the saucepan with the base, and combine with a spatula incorporate. Cook on medium heat until the soup is lightly bubbling around the edges of the pot. Then turn off the heat and let stand for a few minutes to let the soup thicken..
- 5. Serve and garnish as desired with fresh and dried herbs, a dash of olive oil, more lemon zest, finishing sea salt, yogurt, breadcrumbs, etc..
I am the 1st Winner of Cooking with Chef TV Show. I love cooking.