Plant-Based Pie Crust.
You can cook Plant-Based Pie Crust using 9 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Plant-Based Pie Crust
- Prepare 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of ice-cold water.
- You need 2 sticks of Earth Balance dairy-free butter, cubed and chilled.
- You need 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed.
- You need 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast (optional).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt.
- You need of room temperature water for brushing or egg-wash if preferred.
- It’s 1-2 of deep dish 9" pie pans, buttered and floured.
Plant-Based Pie Crust instructions
- Sift and thoroughly combine the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. This can be done by hand with a whisk or large spoon, or in a mixer on low, if preferred..
- Add the cold butter cubes to the flour mixture. Break down and combine using a pastry cutter or fork until the butter is pea-sized and blending with flour..
- Add in cold water a couple of tbsp at a time (I normally end up using 6-12 tbsp depending on how many batches I am making). If you have an electronic mixer you can use the dough hook attachment for this next part. If not, your clean and floured hands will do. Work the dough, firmly pushing and folding until butter is melded completely and the dough holds together in the bowl. If it is wet and sticky, add more flour as needed. If it is too dry and crumbly, add more water as needed. Don't overmix!.
- Once the kneaded dough is able to form a cohesive and stable ball inside the bowl, cut evenly in half, and transfer bowl to the freezer to let dough rest and firm as you work on your desired filling..
- When ready to assemble your pie, remove dough from freezer. Lightly flour a clean flat surface on your counter. Using a floured rolling pin, take 1/2 of the dough and gently yet firmly roll out and stretch the dough until it is evenly flat and can cover the size of the desired dish..
- Carefully lay your rolled-out dough inside the crust pan, letting the excess drape over the sides. Use the tips of your fingers to firmly press the sides and bottom into the pan. Take a fork and lightly poke holes in the crust for ventilation. Pinch and twist the edges for desired crust design..
- Pour or spoon chosen filling over the bottom crust and smooth evenly. Roll out the second half of the pie dough as you did the first. Design top crust as desired (picture shows a lattice over a fruit filling), and gently puncture or slice small lines into the top with a fork or butter knife to ventilate, if needed for full top crusts..
- Trim excess dough hanging over sides, and pinch edges into place. Brush with room temperature water or egg wash (whisked egg + dash of milk of choice), if preferred..
- If using a particular filling recipe, cover the edges of the crust with foil to protect it from burning, and bake as instructed!.
I am the 1st Winner of Cooking with Chef TV Show. I love cooking.