Pozole (Mexican Hominy Stew).
You can have Pozole (Mexican Hominy Stew) using 10 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pozole (Mexican Hominy Stew)
- Prepare 1.5 of # Pozole (Hominy) may be canned or fresh most often found in Latin Stores.
- It’s 1.5 of # Pork Butt (Boston Butt) or other suitable Port Roast cut in large chunks (2 in.).
- Prepare 1.5 of # Pork Belly cut in large chunks (2in.).
- Prepare 10 of large Dried Chiles (Guajillo, New Mexico).
- Prepare 1 of Yellow or White Onion stuck with 2-4 whole cloves.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of +/- Garlic.
- Prepare 1 of Bay Leaf.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Toasted Cumin Seeds (important to toast them).
- It’s of Salt and Pepper.
- You need of Lime wedges, Finely Chopped Onion, Chopped Cilantro, Oregano for garnish.
Pozole (Mexican Hominy Stew) step by step
- If using fresh Hominy (Pozole), soak overnight as you would dried beans if you want. If using canned Hominy, skip to step 3. I have to say either Pozole works, but fresh gives that "authentic" flair..
- Drain the hominy and put in a large "caldero" or soup pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Let simmer briskly for 1 hour..
- During Hominy cooking, toast Chiles in skillet or grill top taking care not to burn and develop a really off flavor. After, slit lengthwise and remove stems and seeds..
- Place Chiles in pot with 4 cups of water, simmer 30 minutes and allow to cool. Blend to a paste using some of the water you simmered with making a consistency of roughly pancake batter..
- Season Pork Belly and Shoulder with Salt and Pepper. I prefer to sear (Brown) the Shoulder, but the choice is yours. Either way, after Pozole has been cooking 1 hour, add the Pork Belly and Shoulder to the pot. Add the Onion with Cloves, Toasted Cumin Seeds, Bay Leaf and Garlic..
- Cover with enough water 2 inches, then bring back to a brisk simmer. Top with water occasionally and taste broth for salt, simmer for about 2 1/2 hours more, meat should be tender and pozole grains should have softened and burst. Skim fat from surface if desired..
- Add 1 cup chile purée and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and correct seasoning. Add more purée if desired..
- When serving, put pozole, meat and broth into big bowls. Garnish with pieces of thinly sliced cabbage, diced onion, lime wedges, cilantro and oregano as desired..
- In my pic, I had White Rice left over so I just served over that. I KNOW….2 starches…..sue me!.
I am the 1st Winner of Cooking with Chef TV Show. I love cooking.