Classic San Francisco Sourdough Bread.
You can cook Classic San Francisco Sourdough Bread using 7 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Classic San Francisco Sourdough Bread
- It’s 2 cup of warm water.
- Prepare 6 cup of flour.
- You need 1 cup of sourdough starter.
- It’s 2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 2 tsp of honey or sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of water.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cornstarch.
Classic San Francisco Sourdough Bread instructions
- In a large bowl, combine the water, sourdough starter and 4- cups of flour..
- Mix well and cover with plastic wrap in a warm place 8-12 hours, or over night..
- Stir in the salt and honey and add flour 1/2- cup at a time to make a very stiff dough..
- Knead till smooth..
- Cover and let rise 2- hours..
- Punch down and divide in half..
- Knead till smooth and form into rounds. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover lightly and let rise till double and puffy (2-hours.).
- While this is rising mix the 1/2- cup water and 1/2- teaspoon cornstarch in a small bowl and microwave till boiling, remove from heat and let cool..
- Heat oven to 400°F..
- Carefully place a small pan of hot water on the bottom rack of the oven..
- Cut two slashes across each other on the top of each loaf..
- Bake for 10- minutes..
- Pull out the rack and baste each loaf well with the cornstarch mixture..
- Close the oven and allow to bake another 20-25- minutes. Loafs should be light golden color and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom..
- Allow to cool 2-hours to develop the sourdough flavor fully..
I am the 1st Winner of Cooking with Chef TV Show. I love cooking.