Carnitas. Carnitas, literally meaning "little meats", is a dish of Mexican cuisine that originated in the state of Michoacán. Carnitas are made by braising or simmering pork in oil or preferably lard until tender. The process takes three to four hours, and the result is very tender and juicy meat.
It's a staple in Mexican I have a serious love affair with carnitas. It's one of the easiest recipes imaginable, and transforms a simple. Nothing beats tender golden brown Carnitas right from the large disco. You can have Carnitas using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Carnitas
- You need 1 of whole Boston Pork Butt or Picnic Roast; bone-in or out.
- It’s of Cooking Liquid.
- You need 1 of small can of evaporated milk.
- It’s 1 of whole orange.
- You need 2 of whole lemons.
- You need 2 of whole limes.
- Prepare 1 of medium/large yellow onion- cut large chunks.
- Prepare 1 of green bell pepper- seeded & cut large chunks.
- Prepare 8 clove of garlic sliced thin.
- Prepare 2 of cinnamon stick.
- It’s 2-3 of bay leaves.
- You need of Rub.
- You need 1 TBS of each dried basil, oregano, cumin, chilli powder.
- It’s 1 TBS of each salt, black pepper, garlic powder.
For those not familiar with Carnitas, it is pork braised in lard until tender and. This Easy Carnitas Recipe makes the BEST carnitas: rich, tender shredded pork with crispy Post includes step-by-step instructions and everything you ever wanted to know about making carnitas. Mexican pork carnitas, slow cooked, spicy, shredded pork shoulder Mexican pork carnitas, slow cooked, spicy, shredded pork shoulder, finished in the oven for browning, served with tortillas and salsa. Carnitas is a traditional Mexican main dish and filling used in tacos and other dishes.
- Pull meat out of fridge 30-60 minutes prior to cooking to warm it to room temp. Can be done while prepping all other ingredients. Not required. Have slow cooker all set up and the insert not in the cooker. I use a crockpot bag alot for easier cleanup..
- Mix together all the in ingredients for the rub and have on a large plate or baking sheet. Set aside..
- Now for the cooking liquid. Juice your lemons, limes and orange. Put peels in the crockpot with the onion, peppers, garlic, cinnamon and bay leaves..
- After removing pork from package and drying with paper towel cover entire chunk of pork with with the rub..
- I a large skillet heated to medium-high heat brown your pork on all sides..
- Now put the pork in the crockpot. You can deglaze the skillet and put all that good stuff in the crockpot also. Add the evaporated milk and fruit juices to crockpot as well..
- Now put the lid on on put it in the cooker. Cook on low heat 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours..
- After cooking, take meat out of crockpot in a large baking dish. Shred the pork using 2 forks or tongs. Then strain your cooking juice and save for crisping the shredded pork, reheating or even use it for your next Carnitas batch-but be sure to freeze it!.
Typically made with less expensive cuts of pork, the cooking method employed for carnitas renders the meat soft. Slow-cooker and Instant Pot carnitas variations. Pork carnitas—Mexican braised and fried pork chunks with their addictively crisp edges—were unfamiliar to me until I tried this recipe. Many find carnitas a little dry or flavorless. These have a great, distinctive flavor and are requested by friends and family over and over.
I am the 1st Winner of Cooking with Chef TV Show. I love cooking.